I’m involved in the Department for Education’s STEM 500 Project, in the Thinking Technologically focus group. This is a long-term strategy that began as a trial in 2017 and will be completed by 2020. The aim is to have 500 STEM specialists in Primary Schools, training teachers so that we can better design learning for students, who will be better equipped for the jobs of the future. There are two stages to this project:
Stage 1: 2018
Target: Further developing our disciplinary understandings and knowledge in one of the STEM disciplines: Science, Technology or Maths with a facilitator.
- 500 STEM Educators in Primary Schools Project (Day 1 and 2)
- Modbury STEM PLC ~Thinking Technologically~May 23rd
- STEM 500 Day 3: Robotics
- STEM 500 Day 4: Systems Thinking
- STEM 500 Day 5: Design Thinking
- STEM 500 Day 6: Making Spaces
Stage 2: 2019
Target: Strengthen teachers’ capability to design engaging and challenging learning in STEM-related disciplines.