Your privacy is critically important to us.
At Edufolios we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your Edufolios is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
We are the team behind Edufolios.
We help you to collate, create and reflect on your teaching practice so that you can reduce your admin and grow your super teacher skills.
Our mission is to provide educators with space to think and reflect then connect those amazing thoughts with the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. That way, we can all benefit from each other’s experience, create evidence of practice FROM what we do already, share knowledge with each other (Very HA of you!) and grow to be the best we can be.
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so. For example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better.
We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for an Edufolios.org account to provide a username, school or organisation name and email address–and that’s it. You may provide us with more information–like your name–but we don’t require that information to create an Edufolios.org account.
- More Information: We ask for more details such as the school/organisation you’re working with and how you heard about Edufolios. You may provide us with more information–like which career stage you’re working towards–but we don’t require that information to create an Edufolios.org account.
- Billing Address and Payment Information: When you sign up for a subscription to Edufolios.org you will provide additional information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card and contact information.
- Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in draft and published content (such as for your portfolio). For example, if you write an evidence post or page that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet if you choose to publish that content publicly. This might be obvious to you…but it’s not to everyone!
- Communications With Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with us about a support question, or fill out a form at Edufolios.org.
- Communications With Other Edufolios Users: You may from time to time, comment on other Edufolios users content whilst logged into our Services. At this time, we will collect the comment you make and the time and date it was made.
- Public Profile Information: If you have an account with us, we collect the information that you provide for your public profile. For example, if you have an Edufolios.org account, your username is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile, such as a photo or “Biographical Info”. Your public profile information is just that–public–so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you would like to include.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services–for example, when you access, create or make changes to Edufolios™.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, searches at Edufolios.org, features enabled for your portfolio). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you create or log into your Edufolios.org account through another service (like Office 365) or if you connect your Edufolio™ to a social media service (like Twitter), we will receive information from that service (such as your list of recent status updates) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and any options that are available.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Service. For example, to set up and maintain your account, host your Edufolio™, backup and restore your Edufolio™, or charge you for any of our paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services. For example, by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their Edufolio™ more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition–for example, we may analyze how many individuals purchased a plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Services after a certain length of time;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Edufolios™ and others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Services;
- To communicate with you, for example through an email, about offers and promotions offered by Edufolios™ and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on Edufolios™ and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those who have a particular plan with us or have been our user for a certain length of time), and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfil our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account–for example, in order to enable access to our Services on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
- You have given us your consent–for example before we place certain cookies on your device and access and analyse them later on.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third-Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third-party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you or your site. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyse fraudulent payment transactions, postal and email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you), those that assist us with our marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving our marketing campaigns), and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers). We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Edufolios™, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as the social media services that you connect to your site or the organization you belong to.
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services and we may share a hashed version of your email address to facilitate customized ad campaigns on other platforms.
- Other Edufolio Owners: If you have an Edufolios.org account and leave a comment on an Edufolio™ that uses our Services, your name, IP address and the email address associated with your Edufolios.org account may be shared with the administrator(s) of the Edufolio where you left the comment.
- Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is – you guessed it –disclosed publicly.
That means, of course, that information like your public profile, evidence posts, other content that you choose to make public on your Edufolio™, and your comments on other Edufolios™, are all available to others–and we hope you get a lot of views!
Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties.
Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to our Services, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to our Services and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites.
As another example, when you delete a post, page, or comment from your Edufolios.org site, it stays in your Trash folder for seven days just in case you change your mind and would like to restore that content–because starting again from scratch is no fun, at all. After the seven days are up, the deleted content may remain on our backups and caches until purged.
Furthermore, unless otherwise explicitly requested not to, Edufolios will retain all content from your Edufolio on our servers indefinitely. This is so you are able to pause your subscription with us (for example in times of financial hardship) then regain access to the content in your Edufolio once your subscription is reactivated with us.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
To enhance the security of your account, we encourage you to access our services through a provider that supports Two-Step Authentication, for example, Microsoft’s Office 365.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information (where alternative billing arrangements are agreed). Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt-out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt-out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, Edufolios™ does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using our Services, with the drawback that certain features of our Services may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Close Your Account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use our Services 😢😭 you can cancel your Edufolios.org subscription and close your account. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above. For example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to How to Reach Us to, well, find out how to reach us.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Controllers and Responsible Company
Edufolios Pty Ltd is an Australian registered company (ACN: 618 899 120) and is the controller for the information used within the Edufolios Services. These services are offered and operated under our Terms of Service.
Edufolios utilises a number of secure data processors to deliver our Services and process the information detailed in the How and Why We Use Information section above. Each of these processors has signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield.
|Stripe Inc.||San Francisco, USA||Privacy Shield Policy||Payment Processing|
|AutopilotHQ Inc.||San Francisco, USA||Privacy Shield Notice||Messaging, Site Usage Analytics|
|Google LLC||Mountain View, USA||Privacy & Terms||Site Analytics, Advertising|
|Facebook Inc.||Menlo Park, USA||Privacy Shield||Social Media, Advertising, Site Usage Analytics|
|Microsoft Corporation||Redmond, USA||Privacy Statement||Authentication & Single Sign-On|
|Twilio Inc.||San Francisco, USA||Privacy Shield Statement||Messaging|
|Amazon Web Services Inc.||Seattle, USA||Privacy Statement||Cloud Infrastructure|
|Webmayhem Inc. (t/a Libsyn)||Pennsylvania, USA||Privacy Statement||Podcast Streaming & Analytics|
How to Reach Us
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
- In the case of US-based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.
That’s it! Thanks for reading
- October 18, 2021: Updated formatting and added ™ to Edufolios™ brand name.
- August 6, 2021: Updated list of third party data processors. Amended minor typos. Updated links to support articles.
- May 24, 2018: Updated to reflect the EU’s GDPR legislation changes.